The ‘gamble responsibly’ message currently displayed in online betting operators’ ads is on its way out, making way for seven new slogans to come into effect by the end of March 2023.
According to a government fact sheet, a number of guidelines are available for the use of various slogans on TV, radio, in-app, digital, print, social media, website and other platforms, including outdoor and direct marketing.
A full rotation of applicable slogans within a digital platform must occur over a 12-month period to reduce news fatigue.
The slogan should also be accompanied by call-to-action text: “For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gaminghelponline.org.au”.
The new slogans are:
- Chances are you will lose.
- Think. Is that a bet you really want to place?
- How much does gambling really cost you?
- What are you willing to lose today? Set a deposit limit.
- Imagine what you could buy instead.
- you win something you lose more
- What are you really playing with?
The new rule is based on research commissioned by the Department of Social Services, including observation, survey and interview with 30 players. The study examined the effectiveness of each message on different platforms and made recommendations accordingly.